Campus Evacuation Plan
Events including brush fires, plane crashes, and chemical spills may require evacuation of the campus. This document provides an outline for response to these type of situations.
Principal Point Persons
- Chief of Police, Department of Campus Safety
- Campus Safety Officers
- Superintendent of Amherst County Schools, or his designee
- Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Vice President for Academic Affairs/Dean of the Faculty
- Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Co-Curricular Life
- Vice President and Chief of Staff
- Director of Media, Marketing and Communications
- Director of Physical Plant
- Associate Director of Physical Plant
- Director of Residence Life
- President of the College
When an emergency occurs on or near campus that requires a systematic evacuation, Campus Safety will begin the process by contacting the Superintendent of Amherst Public Schools to activate their emergency evacuation protocol for Sweet Briar. Simultaneously, the EAS signal for GATHER will be sounded.
GATHER SIREN SIGNAL – A series of 10 second blasts followed by 4 seconds of silence for a period of 3 minutes. This signal indicates that persons should gather on campus at the Fitness and Athletic Center (FAC). With the aid of the Campus Safety radio use the following steps to initiate the GATHER SIREN SIGNAL.
- Press button P2 and hold for 3 seconds.
- Choose alarm function 1.
- Depress the talk button to activate the siren.
A text message will be sent via the e2Campus emergency notification system.
e2Campus Message System
(Insert situation) on campus, please go to (location) immediately.
Emergency Website Message
(Insert situation and location) and emergency personnel are on the scene. Everyone on campus is asked to go to (location) in an orderly and safe manner for further updates and instructions. Further updates will be posted on this site as information becomes available.
Emergency Information Hotline Message
(Insert situation and location) and emergency personnel are on the scene. Please move to ( location) in an orderly and safe manner for further updates and instructions. Callers from off campus should visit our website at www.sbc.edu for further updates
Campus Telephone Landline Message
(Insert situation and location) and emergency personnel are on the scene. Please move to (location) in an orderly and safe manner for further updates and instructions.
Amherst Schools will dispatch busses to the SBC Fitness and Athletic Center from which they will transport the campus population to the Amherst County High School until the threat has abated, or in the event of an extended emergency a dismissal procedure is initiated. In the event that Amherst High School is also in harm’s way, an alternate ACS facility will be identified by ACS staff and law enforcement as the evacuation point.
The Crisis Response team will be notified and convene at the FAC to assist Campus Safety in the direction of the evacuation and then at the evacuation facility to assist the management of the gathering at Amherst High School and to coordinate follow up.
A follow up message via e2Campus and campus email will be sent to the community. The Director of Residence Life will work directly with the Resident Coordinators and Resident Advisors to assist with disseminating information and updates to students.
- Campus Safety will work with Physical Plant staff to assess any damage on campus. They will use extreme caution when entering buildings and watch for electrical system damage, downed power lines, gas leaks, and sewer and water line damage, as appropriate.
- Physical Plant staff will work with the Director of Residence Life to coordinate any housing needs/relocation of students.
- Campus Safety and Physical Plant will coordinate follow up with any outside agencies (e.g. DOD, Civil Defense, etc.).