• No categories

Insurance and Required Documents

Medical Insurance

All international students must have medical coverage. Upon being accepted to the College, you will be sent information about a minimal accident and sickness medical plan that is provided at a low cost to students through Sweet Briar. We require that you obtain this annual insurance as there is no reciprocity between the United States and foreign countries for free medical care.

Contents Insurance

The College does not provide insurance for students’ personal belongings. Sweet Briar is a relatively safe environment with very little theft or risk of damage. However, insurance can be obtained after your arrival from Wilson Insurance Agency (434-946-7296) or Allstate Insurance (434-946-5550).

Immigration Visas and Official Papers

As an international student, you are responsible for making certain that your visa, I-20 forms, passport, and any other documents pertinent to your permission to live, study, and work in the U.S. are in order and up to date. The Director of International Studies can help to answer some of your questions about these papers.

Identification Cards

An identification card is an important item in the United States. You will probably be asked for one whenever you try to pay for something by check. During orientation, you will have your photograph taken for a Sweet Briar Identification (ID) Card. This will usually be acceptable to merchants who ask to “see an ID.” Your Sweet Briar ID proves that you are a student here and will give you access to Sweet Briar events and facilities. It is wise to carry your ID card with you at all times.

International Driver’s License

All students who hold a driver’s license in their home countries should bring an “international driver’s license” with them to the U.S. This is a document that provides an official translation of your license. You cannot drive with your home country license in the United States and you cannot get an international license in the U.S. If you do not know where to obtain this license in your country, your travel agent will be able to help you locate the agency that sells them.