College to host tour of Monument Hill

| September 17, 2015

Students on Monument Hill on Founders’ Day in 1951

Update:

Due to the heavy rains expected this weekend, this event has been moved from Monument Hill to the Hamble Center at the Amherst County Museum & Historical Society (154 S. Main St. in Amherst). Tusculum Institute director  Lynn Rainville will present “a colorful, well-illustrated talk that will place your spirit at the cemetery.”

Lynn Rainville, director of Sweet Briar’s Tusculum Institute, will lead a tour of the Monument Hill cemetery for the Amherst County Museum and Historical Society at 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 4.

Rainville will present the history of the cemetery and talk about those buried there. The tour also includes an encounter with Indiana Fletcher — portrayed by local actor Tanya Anderson — as she enters the gate to visit her father Elijah Fletcher’s grave. “Miss Indie,” as she was affectionately known, will reminisce about her father, who died in 1858 in her arms at Sweet Briar House, his choice for his resting place, and his monument.

Following the tour, participants are welcome to visit the 1840s slave cabin for a self-guided tour, with Rainville providing some historical background. Karol Lawson, director of the College’s art collection and galleries and the Sweet Briar Museum, will be available at the cemetery and slave cabin to answer additional questions.

The tour begins promptly at 2 p.m. Participants should arrive 10 minutes early in the Guion parking lot on campus. Carpooling will be necessary in order to caravan from Guion to the cemetery. To take part in the tour, please RSVP by calling the museum at (434) 946-9068.

In case of inclement weather, please call the museum or check the museum’s website for updates on the tour. The rain location is the Hamble Center behind the Amherst County Museum at 154 S. Main St., Amherst.

Category: Tusculum Institute